The Tea, Rum and Vanilla Route in Mauritius
“La Route du Thé” is a unique and charming excursion combining history, culture and gastronomy. This itinerary going through Le Domaine des Aubineaux, Le Domaine de Bois Chéri, and Le Domaine de Saint Aubin allows you to discover the world of tea, sugar, rum and vanilla.
This ecotourism tour is done in three stages and immerses visitors in a journey filled with tradition and authenticity.
The Domaine des Aubineaux
Located in the highlands of the island, the tour begins with the Domaine des Aubineaux, one of the last typical colonial mansions of the late 19th century. Guides will offer you a cultural tour of this house built in 1872, where you will discover furniture dating from the East India Company, as well as a beautiful collection of vintage photos illustrating the life of the owners.
● The Colonial mansion museum built in 1872
● The house of aromatic essences
● The walk across the floral parc
● Tea and rum tasting
● The shop at Domaine des Aubineaux
The Domaine de Bois Chéri
The road continues at the Bois Chéri tea factory, where you will be shown and explained the different stages of tea processing, from picking to bagging. A visit of the tea museum completes the visit.
To illustrate, a tasting is offered in a cottage with a panoramic view of the area and the south of the island. You can even taste tea delicacies at Bois Chéri!
● The tea factory
● The museum
● The museum’s shop
● The tea tasting experience at Le Chalet du Domaine de Bois Chéri
● The shop at Le Chalet du Domaine de Bois Chéri
The Domaine de Saint Aubin
A few kilometers from Souillac, the Domaine de Saint Aubin offers in one place, several points of interest to visit: a candy factory, now transformed into a museum, a greenhouse of anthuriums and vanilla, a distillery, a mini farm, and a beautiful colonial house dating from 1819. The house has been converted into a restaurant, while the floor has been transformed into a naval museum where historical models are exposed.
The Tea Route is a fascinating journey to the heart of traditional Mauritius.
● The old mill
● The old chimney
● The shop
● The mini-farm
● The Vanilla house
● Anthurium flowers greenhouse
● The spices garden
● The botanical garden
● The granary
● Rum tasting at the rum house
● Experience: A full day unique and authentic experience including the visit of The Domaine des Aubineaux, The Domaine de Bois Chéri and The Domaine de Saint Aubin.
You can choose to begin the excursion on one of the three sites and have lunch in either restaurants: les Aubineaux Restaurant, le Bois Chéri Restaurant or le Saint Aubin Restaurant.
● Price and maximum participants: 43 EUR per Adult / 22 EUR per Child (5-12 years)
● Included in the price: Visit of The Domaine des Aubineaux, The Domaine de Bois Chéri and The Domaine de Saint Aubin.
Lunch + Drinks - Please find below the standard menu. Other drinks packages are not included and must be ordered separately. Vegetarian options are available.
Starter: Palm Heart Salad and Smoked marlin, served with bread
Main Course: Chicken in Vanilla Sauce, sautéed vegetables,
Plain rice, lentil soup, mixed chutneys or pickles
Dessert: caramelized banana in toffee sauce
Tea, coffee, infusion
Beverages package: ½ bottle of water and homemade Ice tea.
● Opening days for activity: Opened every day including Sundays and public holidays.
● Activity start and end times, and duration: 9 AM to 4 PM (approximately 7 hours)
● Pick-up details:
*You can choose to begin the excursion on one of the three sites
Stage 1: Visit of The Domaine des Aubineaux – Located in Curepipe
Stage 2: Visit of The Domaine de Bois Chéri – Located in Bois Chéri
Stage 3: Visit of The Domaine de Saint Aubin – Located in Souillac
● Minimum age and/or requirements for kids: As it is not advisable for toddlers to visit factories, toddlers below 5 yrs of age are not allowed to participate in this activity. The Management cannot be held responsible in case of accidents.
● Transport to location: Not included.
● Reservation policy: Booking 24 hours in advance.
● Cancellation Policy: In case of a no show, without a prior notice of 48 hours, the full amount will be claimed.