Exclusive China Town Food Tour
Through the streets of Port Louis to the heart of the historic China Town, experience the unique fusion of Sino-Mauritian flavours.
A symbol of Mauritius’ diversity and multiculturalism, China Town was once the most vibrant place in Port Louis, opening its door to all Mauritians. This neighbourhood is a beehive of activities with its many old shops, Mahjong houses, fruit and vegetable stalls, traditional Chinese herbal medicine and of course, tons of great food. Despite the many challenges faced by the community, China Town has managed to preserve its culture through festivals, ancient customs, and food.
Embark on an incredible culinary adventure celebrating the flavours of China where traditional Chinese specialties will intermingle with an unequalled blend of local flavours and modern dishes. During the China Town Food Tour, our knowledgeable guide will lead the way through a tutored tasting, beginning at the Caudan Waterfront and then to the heart of China Town to discover the Chinese delicacies in Mauritius. En route, we will stop at various local restaurants and street food vendors to taste some Sino-Mauritian food, ranging from delicious duck dishes to traditional Chinese sweets and tea. Rediscover old favourites and tantalize your taste buds during this distinctive and delectable tour.
Along the way, you will also learn the history and culture of the community as well as tidbits of etiquette and ancient customs. Join us for this unique food experience for food lovers of all ages and let China Town fill your hearts and stomachs!
Walking Distance: 3.2km (approx.)
Duration: 4 to 4.5 hours
Meeting Place: The Casino at Caudan Waterfront, Port Louis
*Please note that no vegetarian, vegan or gluten-free menu is available
- Includes food & drink, sightseeing and guide.
- Taste some typical Sino-Mauritian street food and try some of the best restaurants.
- Wander deep into Port Louis and explore the streets of Chinatown.
- Learn about Chinese culture and history in Mauritius as you visit traditional stores.
- Breakfast – Have a light breakfast in the morning. Keep your appetite for the food tour.
- Walking Shoes – Wear a comfortable pair of walking shoes to make your way around town.
- Sun Protection – Be sure to bring sunscreen and/or a hat to protect you from the strong tropical sun.